Senior UX Graphic Designer ∞ (Maplewood, MN)MAPLEWOOD, Minnesota, USADesignR00948638
3M is seeking a Senior UX Graphic Designer for the Consumer Business Group in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
3M is driving creativity and design as a competitive platform for innovation and brand globally to enhance design-driven solutions for people and the world. We are looking for a contract Senior UX Graphic Designer for our Consumer Business Group to enhance the design function at the 3M Design Center, located in Maplewood, MN.
The person hired for the position of Senior UX Graphic Designer will work with cross-functional teams to create user-centered designs, interfaces and data visuals in support of programs of major importance within the 3M Consumer Business Group. The person in this role will support experience and visual design to bring to life experience strategies, web and mobile applications, user interface platform/ecosystems; participate in consumer research to understand how to best deliver a compelling user experience and identify visual user interface requirements, create guidelines and define design approach.
Does your curiosity inspire you to imagine tomorrow’s solutions to today’s problems? Do you ever wonder how collaborative creativity can enrich innovation and make progress possible? Or wonder if design can drive competitive advantage for business, while also having positive impact on the world? These are just a few of the questions we ask at 3M Design every day. Our diverse, global team not only includes design talent from multiple creative disciplines, but also achievement-oriented professionals who keep the engine going for strong operations to ensure our design organization is world class. We’re looking for creative explorers who are excited to be part of the very inspiring journey of design at an innovation company like 3M driven by curiosity.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Create world-class user interfaces and visual designs from concept to execution for mobile applications, and connected IOT products.
- Handles major new projects in parallel, organizes and manages assignments in an agile manner in support of business plans, organizational plans and 3M’s reputation and brand strategy.
- Collaborates with product designers, UX designers, and developers to create intuitive, compelling interfaces and interactions between mobile applications and connected devices.
- Builds high-fidelity interactive prototypes and wireframes, and participates in concept testing/usability testing and produces recommendations to move the project forward.
- Translate interaction wireframes into visual designs that are visually engaging, simple and intuitive, while staying true to the brand’s style and guidelines.
- Conveys visual design ideas in tangible forms like concepts, annotated comps and cut assets.
- Defines key user interface behaviors through the use of experience models, personas, storyboards, site maps, flow diagrams, wireframes, mockups, simulations and etc.
- Develop visual design languages and systems including layouts, grids, photography, iconography, UI elements and others.
- Apply visual language to the design of product interactions, and mobile applications for variety of devices with different screen sizes, aspect ratios and pixel densities.
- Willingness to be fearless about driving new ideas, and finding beautiful and powerful ways to communicate them.
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited university in design, graphic design, visual communications, industrial design, design strategy or user experience design
- Minimum of three (3) combined years of experience in user experience design and/or visual design, with experiences in designing solutions for web, IOT devices and mobile applications on a variety platforms including IOS and Android (in a private, public, government or military environment)
- M.S. in design strategy, graphic design or user experience design, or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- 5-7 years of relevant work experience in the design industry in a private, public, government or military environment
- Excellent visual design skills, layout, typography, and colors.
- Experience working collaboratively with other product managers and engineers in a variety of settings
- Strong communication skills with the ability to articulate positions and advocate designs.
Please attach a file or include a link to a non-confidential portfolio of design work along with your application.
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: Up to 10%
About 3M Design
3M Design is the creative engine driving design for innovation at 3M. As a global team of diverse talent that creates meaningful and consistent brand experiences, we stimulate collaborative creativity to translate insights and technologies into solutions that inspire and positively impact our customers, our employees, and our world. 3M is a global innovation company with $32 billion in sales, employing 90,000 people worldwide with operations in more than 70 countries. For more information about 3M Design, visit www.3M.com/design
or follow @3MDesign on Twitter.
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)