Principal Mechanical Engineer * (Monroe, NC)Monroe, North Carolina, USALaboratorium R00978042
3M is seeking a Principal Mechanical Engineer for the 3M-Personal Safety Division- SCBA and Fire Solutions R&D Laboratory located in Monroe, NC. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Principal Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for development of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) respirators. A successful candidate will search out new and improved technologies, materials and processes that create performance advantages. Candidates will ensure that standards of quality, product and program costs, safety, reliability, and timeliness are met.
Candidates will be responsible for providing documentation and sufficient performance data to assess form, fit and function for performance, reliability, and manufacturability as well as to facilitate approval of those products from appropriate regulatory bodies. The successful candidate will work closely with other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, and lab technicians to optimize the physical design of the SCBA.
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Report to the Mechanical Engineering Leader for SCBA, and be responsible for the design and development of mechanical components and sub-systems of Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA)
- Work closely with other mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, lab technicians, and designers to design, test and ensure product performance meets requirements of quality, cost, safety, reliability, schedule, and performance as well as regulatory requirements
- Participate on cross functional teams during new product development programs including design reviews, DFMEA’s, and regulatory submissions
- Participate in developing best-practices and mechanical development processes.
- Isolate root cause and resolve mechanical issues in existing products; when needed, able to resort to formal problem-solving techniques
- Provide hands-on approach to testing, including proof of concept, design validation and regulatory agency approval
- Provide real-time, transparent communication to Program Engineering and Program Management on overall status against agreed project timelines
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum ten (10) years of mechanical design experience in a private, public, government or military environment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Mechanical Design experience with metals (sheet metal and machined component design), plastics (injection molding), composites and other materials incorporated in SCBA
- Current experience using 3D Parametric modeling tools such as SolidWorks, CREO, or Inventor including complex surfacing applications
- Demonstrated passion for new product development within a collaborative environment while meeting all validation, documentation, and regulatory requirements
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills, experience with design simulation (FEA/CFD) and analysis tools
- Experience with statistical tolerance analysis and statistics tools such as Minitab
- Working knowledge of GD&T
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to develop relationships and engage with people quickly
- Review and/or generate intellectual property including patents, trade secrets, etc.
- Ability to manage multiple projects under time constraint within a SCRUM framework
- Experience working in a geographically diverse development organization with multi-disciplinary teams
- Demonstrated knowledge of FMEA principles and DVP&R methodology
- Experience in SCBA design
- High pressure (greater than 3000 psi) pneumatics design experience
Location: Monroe, NC
Travel: May include up to 10% domestic/international
Relocation: Is authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).
Responsibilities of this position may include direct and/or indirect physical or logical access to information, systems, technologies subjected to the regulations/compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws.
U.S. Export Control laws and U.S. Government Department of Defense contracts and sub-contracts impose certain restrictions on companies and their ability to share export-controlled and other technology and services with certain "non-U.S. persons" (persons who are not U.S. citizens or nationals, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., refugees, "Temporary Residents" (granted Amnesty or Special Agricultural Worker provisions), or persons granted asylum (but excluding persons in nonimmigrant status such as H-1B, L-1, F-1, etc.) or non-U.S. citizens.
To comply with these laws, and in conjunction with the review of candidates for those positions within 3M that may present access to export controlled technical data, 3M must assess employees' U.S. person status, as well as citizenship(s).
The questions asked in this application are intended to assess this and will be used for evaluation purposes only. Failure to provide the necessary information in this regard will result in our inability to consider you further for this particular position. The decision whether or not to file or pursue an export license application is at 3M Company's sole election.