Sr. Synthetic Chemist (Maplewood, MN)MAPLEWOOD, Minnesota, USALaboratory/TechnicalR00927545
3M is seeking a Sr. Synthetic Chemist for the Electronics Materials Solutions Division (EMSD) located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Sr. Synthetic Chemist will primarily be responsible for synthesis of new fluorinated materials supporting 3M™ Novec™ Engineered Fluids. This is an exciting position working in an attractive technical environment. This position requires an individual with strong leadership skills, who is a good decision maker with ability to collect facts and separate symptoms from problems. Typical development activities will take place in the lab, working directly with application development engineers.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Good working knowledge of organic synthesis and fluorine chemistry
Knowledge / prior experience of handling TFE, HFP, CTFE and other fluorochemical gasses
Techniques for handling materials in high pressure autoclaves,
Use of purification/analytical techniques for organic chemistry and synthesis (F NMR, GC etc)
Experience with Lewis acids such as SbF5, NbF5, etc.
Interactions. Leads interactions with cross functional global labs. Understands specific customer customer needs, processes, and applications. Identifies and communicates new opportunities, markets, applications and competitive information. Provides customer viewpoint and influences strategy at the business team level. Participate/lead New Product Introduction (NPI) teams as directed. Work directly with application engineers throughout development of new materials.
Leadership. Assumes leadership role for technical programs of importance within the division. Programs may include line extensions or significant new applications of existing products requiring new qualifications or claims. Programs may also include participation in the development of new industry standards, best practice guidelines, or regulations.
Intellectual Property. Review and/or generate intellectual property positions in response to customer needs at the business level, including proprietary advances, Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDA), patents, trade secrets and documents, experimental data/observations in technical notebooks or electronic files.
Communications. Communicates results of technical tasks to business group and/or appropriate technical community. Communicates relevant findings to external parties/customers as appropriate. Generates and provides Voice of Customer and Industry trends back into the Business Unit (BU). Provides the Voice of Tech to the 3M Sales force. May establish and leverage a multi-country technical network.
Corporate Initiatives. Leads application of key corporate initiatives and appropriate tools.
Strategic Planning. May participate in technical strategic planning at the business level, providing input on customer needs and direction.
- Master’s degree or higher in Chemistry from an accredited institution
- Minimum of one (1) year laboratory experience
- Minimum of one (1) year organic chemical synthesis experience
- Ph.D. in Chemistry from an accredited institution
- Experienced fluorine synthetic chemist
- Knowledge and experience of Fluoropolymer synthesis
- Experience contributing as a team member on a global cross-functional team
- Experience with application engineering where rapid solutions and a quick turnaround are required on limited scope projects
- Successful record of customer interaction, excellent technical presentation skills, interpersonal abilities, and multi-tasking skills
- Proven behavior of combining technical requirements with commercially viable solutions to result in winning business strategy
- Excellent verbal communication skills at multiple levels of internal as well as external customer and supplier organizations
- Industry expertise, ideally with a record of publications/patents
- Microsoft Office proficient
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 15% domestic and international
Relocation: Is not authorized