Product Development Specialist ∞ (Maplewood, MN)MAPLEWOOD, Minnesota, USALaboratory/Technical and SoftwareR00953950
3M is seeking a Product Development Specialist-Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) Focus for the Display Materials and Division (DMSD) Laboratory located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Product Development Specialist-Augmented/Virtual Reality (AR/VR) Focus will lead and support product development and commercialization of Optical Components for use in augmented and virtual reality devices.
For additional information, please visit:
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Lead Class 5 (revolutionary/new-to-the world), new product development of Optical Components including prototype development through feasibility evaluation and scale-up to commercialization (3M New Product Introduction-NPI, phase-gated process)
- Comfortable leading in a Class 5 environment in an emerging market. Including developing and optimizing new-to-the-world process technologies, products, test methods, and specifications
- Work closely with customers to determine value proposition, specification development, and alignment with customer commercialization timelines
- Work across functions and organizations to commercialize new technologies and products in a global environment
- Generate and defend intellectual property including invention submissions and patents
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum three (3) years of combined experience in one or more of the following areas: Product Commercialization, New Technology Development, New Product Development, Applied Research and/or Research Laboratory in a private, public, government or military environment
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Polymer Science, Mechanical Engineering, Optical Engineering, Physics or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Demonstrated experience successfully developing and commercializing products utilizing a range of technologies and processes
- Demonstrated leadership, broad networking skills and effective team skills
- Experience in a range of technology areas including but not limited to optical components, prototype fabrication and/or development of novel test equipment and methods
- Basic understanding of polarization optics
- Experience translating customer needs into specifications in a Class 5 environment
- Strong project management skills and experience leading global projects
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively and influence across organizational boundaries
- Excellent communications skills (oral, written and presentation)
- Microsoft Office proficient, CAD/SolidWorks® a plus
Location: Maplewood, MN
Travel: May include up to 15% domestic/international
Relocation: Is not authorized
Must be legally authorized to work in country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status).